Cars


Mini Rebuild

 

Step 69 - Getting Roadworthy

 

The current goal is to get the Mini ready and able to drive across town to the DMV to get registered. The car won't be finished but at least it will be safe to drive around in. The rest of the work will have to wait. In recent weeks I've completed the electrical system, installed the windshield and gotten the brakes working. Here's a few items I've knocked out recently...

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

Notice something missing here? Yes - a side mirror.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

I started by sitting in the car and holding the mirror in the approximate install location. I marked that area with tape.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

Magically, the hole appeared and the mirror became fastened to the car.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

Early on I had chosen bullet-style mirrors but these RayDot replicas have grown on me.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

The visibility from the side mirror matches that of the interior mirror - very little.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

I took a few hours to address something that bothered me. The way the bonnet proprod attaches to the bonnet involves this strange claw-like piece of sheetmetal. I misplaced the one I originally test-fit to the car so I took this opportunity to replace it with my own design. I already had a stainless steel proprod from Smiffy Bits. I cut the top off of it and threaded it.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

I installed a small rodend and machined down a flanged spacer/bushing reducer (I don't know exactly what they're called) to fit into the large hole in the bonnet.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

It works.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

Here's another small project I put off for a long time. Since I am the one who designed and installed the wiring it seemed a good idea to add an electical kill switch (and a fire extinguisher). I needed it within easy reach while driving so I mounted it between the front seats. It just barely fits. The problem was in how to mount it. There are two bolt holes through the unit but I had the thing located above the curved exhaust hump running down the length of the car. If I simply ran two bolts up through the floor of the car they would point off at different angles. If I ran the bolts down through the kill switch and through the floor I would need some angled shims under the car. I didn't feel like making them, nor having to crawl under the car to install and remove the kill switch.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

Instead I decided to mount the switch off of a small steel box that the rollcage fabricater had installed between the seats. He made this to serve as anchor points for the front seatbelts. I took some measurements from the car and from the kill switch, then made a quick design in SolidWorks.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

I printed the design on paper and test fit it in the car. Everything looked good so I then traced the shape onto a sheet of steel.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

One hour of cutting and sanding later and the plate is made.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

And here it is installed. You can see the blue box at the back. The two bolts that pass thru the kill switch to hold it in place. They also make contact with the floor to provide some additional support when the button is hit.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 69

I guess the front end that originally came with my car was more mangled than I realized. When I last tried fitting the grille nothing lined up. Things went much better this time. Another item scratched off of the list. Now off to get her registered.

 

Continue to Rebuild Step 70

Return to Mini