Cars


Mini Rebuild

 

Step 66 - Wiring Almost Complete

 

In my last update I was just completing rewiring my R1 ECU. Here I'm just starting to wire and install the ECU tray, which is just a hinged metal plate that I've attached all of the various control units to.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

With the ECU tray out of the car, I wired all the ECU's together where required.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Here you can see the car prior to installing the tray. All of the wires coming from the boot have been routed up the righthand C-pillar, along the roof channel, down the A-pillar channel where they emerge at the lower dash. Wires that need to connect to anything in the ECU tray will pass thru grommeted holes in the floor of the lower dash. If they need to reach the engine compartment they will connect to the mil-spec connectors underneath the dash.

 

You can also see two red pass-thru connectors on the firewall. These will allow constant and switched power to pass between the passenger compartment and the engine bay.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

The tray has been temporarily fitting into place. This allowed me to determine exactly how long the wires in the tray would need to be to reach the firewall connector.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

With the desired wire length known, I pulled the tray out, set up a ruler and started cutting.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Eventually I wound up with this. You'll notice I still didn't get my service loops right. They ended up too large in diameter and too far away from the connector. They will work but I continue to learn from my mistakes.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

The tray returns and the wiring continues. I've now started connecting those trunk wires into the ECU's, routing wires up the A-pillar to the upper control housing, as well as sending wires to the central instument panel, center switch panel, steering wheel controls and gear indicator.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

To keep from getting too frustrated/bored I continually switched work areas. Here was the current state of the engine bay. Notice the fuse/relay boxes are loose and beginning to have wires stuffed into them.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Looking a bit better. The fuse boxes are now wired up and all wires throughout the engine bay are slowly being bundled and routed towards the firewall connectors.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

What a mess! Tackling several areas simultaneously comes at a price.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

If you recall many months ago I thought I had a mounting solution worked out for the transfer box's oil pump and filters. That didn't pan out due to the lack of space in the engine bay. After some more measuring I designed this triple-clamp. It will attach to the pump body with the inlet and outlet filters clamped above.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Before paying to have the part fabricated I made some templates in cardboard.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

They work fine here and after carefully inserting the assembly into the car I was satisfied. Hopefully the completed part will be in my hands soon.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Here I've made some progress on the wiring of the steering wheel. The buttons on the wheel, the shifter paddles, the turn signal stalk, and the R1 instrument display all have to be wired up.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Here you can see the third and fourth fuse boxes being wired.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

The central switch panel is now complete.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

The wiring of the steering wheel buttons and shifters necessitated flexible coiled wires to allow for rotation of the steering. I'm not sure where I am going to route and possibly conceal all of this wiring. Some of it I don't think I will be able to. For now though I just need to hook everything up and test all the circuits. I will worry about aesthetics later.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

This is a photo from this past weekend. At this point the wiring throughout the entire car was essentially finished except for the engine bay. My goal was to complete this wiring over the next two days.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Here is where things stood on Friday evening.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Eventually all of the wiring merged at the firewall connectors. With 35 different wires passing through the connector I didn't have enough wire colors to keep them all unique, hence the blue tape labeling each wire.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

By Sunday afternoon I was ready to start the final crimps.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Before inserting the first of the 35 wires into the connector I decided to hook up the multimeter and test it. Result? Fail! I had crossed some wires somewhere as I was not getting continuity readings between the pin and the engine sensor. The wire I chose to test was the 5V connection that the R1 ECU sends out to the various sensors in the engine bay. The wires keep splitting and splitting again to reach all the sensors. Deciding where to join/merge/split the wires is a real pain and required a lot of planning. I was so careful and now that I had almost all of the heatshrink and connector boots in place, this was not the time to find a major mistake. Thankfully it turned out to be an easy fix. I had swapped a couple of pins on a sub-harness connector the day before and hadn't caught it until now. Once I corrected that the 5V connections all checked out and the remaining 34 wires then installed without a hitch.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

Finally! Here is the connected all wired up. I will seal everything up and heatshrink the boots down once I'm done testing the entire electrical system. Testing should start any day now.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 66

 

Continue to Rebuild Step 67

Return to Mini