Cars


Mini Rebuild

 

Step 31 - Parking Brake

 

For starters the lower dash is back in the car. Looking ahead I realized that I would need a place to mount the engine ECU as well as a few other electrical components. I didn't think the engine bay would be a good place for those so at this time I'm planning on mounting what I can underneath the lower dash. This necessitated the addition of some new steel panels to my current lower dash. I fabbed something up and it works, it just isn't pretty. I'll have to go back and redo it a little nicer.

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

Here you can see the lower dash back in place. I've also refitted the central instrument binnacle.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

Time for the parking brake system to go in. I had to special-order these 12" long spot weld tongs so that I could re-attach the parking brake mount. I ended up 'supplementing' the spot welds with some Mig welding but they should still come in handy later for some body work I have planned.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

The system went in quite easily.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

And now time for the rear brake lines. I purchased a standard Mini brake line kit from England, where cunifer is commonly used. So far, it seems to be good stuff. It bends relatively easily and flares well.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

One part that didn't come with my Mini and wasn't readily available anywhere that I could find, is swing arm brake line brackets. These are just little L-shaped brakes there the rigid lines meet the flexible SS lines. Time for me to fabricate - and if you've seen my work you'd scream too!

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

The hard line is uncomfortably close to the bracket. It took some work just to get a gap at all. In theory there should be no relative movement between the line and the rest of the swing arm but I'm going to keep a close eye on these for any signs of contact/wear.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

And here you can see the rear brake pressure regulator. This limits the maximum brake line pressure that can be sent to the rear brakes and helps prevent lock-up under heavy braking. I wanted it somewhat accessible for the initial adjustment but tucked out the way since it shouldn't require much if any further adjustment after that. This seemed like a good spot.

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

I will be using the original R1 dash to get speed, odometer, trip meters, coolant temp, as well as turn signal and high-beam indicators. I decided to mount it to an aluminum plate but with the original rubber grommet to lessen vibration. I should have a nice attachment bracket to complete things soon. More billet machine work...

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

 

Mini Rebuild - Step 31

A local Mini owner spotted my posts on a car forum and stopped by to introduce himself. He was nice enough to take me for a spin in his RHD car. It was a lot of fun. I can't wait for when I can return the favor.

 

Continue to Rebuild Step 32

Return to Mini